Ranking Member Roe: “Our Committee acted decisively today to honor the brave service of all veterans”
Today, Rep. Phil Roe, M.D. (R-Tenn.), the Ranking Member of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, released the following statement after the Committee voted to report 12 bills to the House Floor.
“Our Committee acted decisively today to honor the brave service of all veterans - including the millions of women veterans who represent the fastest growing segment of the military and veteran populations and Native American veterans who volunteer to serve at higher rates than any other group. By passing my bipartisan bill, the Veterans Economic Recovery Act, we also acted to help the hundreds of thousands of hardworking veterans who have lost their jobs during the COVID-19 pandemic. I am proud of our work this morning and looking forward to considering these bills on the House Floor as soon as possible.
I am also pleased that, while not considered today, my amendment to hold those who knowingly damage a veterans’ cemetery accountable for their actions will have the support of Chairman Takano moving forward. As anyone who has had the opportunity to visit the hallowed grounds of a veterans’ cemetery knows, America’s commitment to honoring her veterans endures even after death. Those few individuals who have used peaceful protests as an excuse to desecrate veterans’ memorials further no cause but their own when they commit such grievous acts of disrespect upon the memory of those who secured their right to protest in the first place. They protected our freedoms with their lives, and it is up to us to protect them now. I look forward to working with my colleagues to do just that when the House returns from the August district work period.”
To watch Ranking Member Roe’s opening remarks, click here.
To watch Ranking Member Roe’s remarks on his amendment, click here.
The following bills were passed out of Committee:
- H.R. 7111: The Veterans Economic Recovery Act of 2020
- H.R. 7445: To amend title 38, United States Code, to expand eligibility for home loans to certain members of the reserve components of the Armed Forces
- H.R. 7795: The Veterans Benefits Fairness and Transparency Act of 2020
- H.R. 3228: The VA Mission Telehealth Clarification Act
- H.R. 3010: The Honoring All Veterans Act
- H.R. 5639: The Chuck Osier Burial Benefits Act
- H.R. 5245: The SHIELD for Veterans Act
- H.R. 4908: The Native American PACT Act
- H.R. 4526: The Brian Tally VA Employment Transparency Act
- H.R. 2791: The Department of Veterans Affairs Tribal Advisory Committee Act of 2019
- H.R. 6589: The CFO Authority and Collaboration Act of 2020
- H.R. 5487: The Veterans Cemetery Grants Improvement Act